The idea for this simple recipe was inspired by a tasty (but unhealthy) banana pie I had made many years ago but I wondered ... what healthy substitute is there to pudding?!?! I wanted something similar to pudding. As tasty as pudding. But without all the junk.
That's when the memory of a flax pudding recipe from the book Fantastic Flax came to mind and with a bit of simplifying and creativity this recipe came to be.
The flax-pudding combines beautifully with the light crust lying beneath it, the sweet bananas resting atop and the crumbly browned granola bar sprinkled about, adding the perfect crunch.
This dessert is a delight to make (because it's so easy to make) and a delight to eat (because it's delicious and it's healthy!) According to Dr. Johanna Budwig, combining flax with a dairy product creates a whole protein that our cells love and this dessert! feeds our cells just that and more!
Here's the simple recipe:
Banana Flax-Pudding Delight
2 cups raw milk
6 Tbsps golden flax seeds
3 Tbsps raw, organic Agave or raw honey
1. Grind the 6 Tbsps of flax seeds for 2 seconds.
2. Bring the 2 cups of milk to a boil.
3. Add flax seed meal to the milk.
4. Boil flax seed-milk mixture for 30 seconds.
5. Transfer to a different bowl and allow to cool (about and hour).
1/2 cup (unsweetened) coconut flakes
1/2 cup prepared almonds (I use peeled almonds)
1/4 cup golden flax seeds
1 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
1. Melt coconut oil on low heat, until liquified.
2. Grind flax seeds, coconut flakes and nuts separately (or together) in a coffee grinder until very fine.
3. Add coconut oil to mixture.
4. Add more dry or wet ingredients until desired consistency is obtained.
5. Press into bottom of serving bowls.
Granola bar, crumbled
1 tsp butter
1 tsp raw, organic agave
pinch of cinnamon
1. Melt butter in small pan.
2. Place about 1 cup (or more) of crumbled granola bar into pan.
3. Mix agave and pinch of cinnamon into crumbled granola bar.
4. Cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
5. Set aside and allow to cool.
* * *
After all else has been prepared and the pudding has cooled:
Place the pudding mixture into mixer. Add 3 Tbsps agave. Mix on low speed for about 3 minutes.
Spoon the pudding mixture onto the crust.
Place desired amount of sliced bananas onto pudding.
Sprinkle crumble topping on top.