Saturday, February 12, 2011

Recipe: Raw Taco Salad

From its photo - it's impossible to tell that this meal is made from all raw food. But it is! and my husband and I really liked it.

All of our family, besides one little one, have been battling a nasty virus. Because of that I decided to put my family on an all raw diet to help us heal - which is how I came upon this recipe. I found it on Youtube. The gal in the video never gives a solid recipe nor does she have it on her blog so I've decided to solidify it, tweak the spice ingredients and post it here.

I'll admit, I was hesitant to try this meal but I'm really glad I did. Who knew raw could taste so good?

Because my children were battling with painfully sore throats they chose to eat foods less irritating (during swallowing) and therefore missed the chance of eating it. But my husband and I liked it enough that whether they end up liking it or not - we'll be making it anyway.

Here's the recipe:

Raw Taco Salad

Lettuce - of your choice (I used a mixture of Romaine and Iceberg)

Dressing:
2 Avocadoes
Juice from 2 limes
1/2 to 3/4 cup filtered water
dash of cayenne pepper (to taste)
1/2 tsp sea salt (to taste)

1. Blend together. Add enough water to create thick but liquidy consitency.

Taco "Meat":
1 1/2 cups soaked and dried almonds
1 cup carrots, chopped some
1 tomato
1/2 to 1 tsp sea salt
1 garlic clove
1/4 cup onion
Cayenne - to taste (I used a couple dashes)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika powder
1/4 cup dried tomato, soaked for 10 minutes (optional)

1. Pulse in blender until well blended. (I used my Blentec and then transfered the mixture to a glass jar and used my hand held emulsifier to create a consistency I liked.)

2. Add more or less spices to your taste.

3. Pour dressing onto salad. Toss. Drop meat by spoonful over top of salad. Sprinkle with tomatoes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment