Friday, November 12, 2010

Recipe: Yam Casserole

This is another delicious recipe I experimentally threw together one day - that I just can't get enough of!

And it's so perfect as a side dish for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday that I'm pretty sure most everyone will love it as well ... everyone who I've had try it has loved it thus far!

Here's the recipe:

Yam Casserole
(enough for 1-2 people)

1 large yam, peeled and diced
1/2 cup (or more) chopped, deli ham or turkey slices
6 Tbsp. softened or melted butter
2 Tbsp flax seed oil
3/4 cup plain yogurt or kefir
1/2 tsp sea salt
dash of pepper
2 cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped
1/4 cup (or more) finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350°. Boil some water with a couple dashes of salt. Place diced yam in the water for 8 minutes. In the meantime, other than the pecans - mix together remaining ingredients. Drain the boiled yam and add it to the wet mixture.

Place the mixture in an appropriate sized baking dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven once cooked. Pour into a bowl and sprinkle with pecans!

The casserole doesn't come out thick. But, instead the yams are drenched in a savory runny sauce that I eat in a bowl, with a spoon.

I couldn't recommend this recipe more!

***Revised on November 30 2010 - Added flax oil to the recipe. Once flax oil is added to a milk product such as yogurt or kefir it becomes a whole protein and therefore makes this meal even healthier!

Note: I have updated my mayo recipe - I had failed to list grapeseed oil as an ingredient.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds awesome! I'm definitely trying this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete