Monday, December 13, 2010

Healthy Home: Cleaning Drains

Every so often there's a rather unpleasant smell that emanates from our bathroom(s) or shower drain.

I used to use something as toxic as Drano but after seeing some of the health problems my mom developed due to the repeated use of similar toxic cleaning solutions I decided to take another route.

There's a popular and safe method for cleaning drains that works really well.

Here's the method:

1. Place 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup baking soda down the drain.
2. Pour 1/2 cup of (cheap, white) vinegar down the drain.
3. Leave this mixture undisturbed for about 15-20 minutes.
4. Pour boiling water down the drain.

Simple as that. Inexpensive and ... non-toxic!

3 comments:

  1. I have done this for years, but I believe the best method is to pour boiling water , whatever is left in the kettle, down the drains on a regular bases. We all have long hair here and the bath tub could become very clogged if we didn't tend to it regularly. Making sure it is clean and pouring boiled water down it has kept it in good repair, no chemicals needed. Thanks for this post, it is a good reminder of simple things we can do that take little time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to remember that! So instead of procrastinating until things get ... smelly, simply pour boiling water down it regularly.

    Nice!

    It's so funny how simple and inexpensive it really is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is excellent information! I have a bathroom sink that needs this ASAP due to 3 daughters with long hair!! I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete