This recipe has been sitting in my "to try" pile of recipes for a couple of weeks now. I pulled it out and changed up some of the ingredients to "healthify" it and it was spectacular!
Here's the recipe:
Apple Spice Cake
2 cups ground sprouted wheat flour
(+ 2 extra Tbsps for frosting)
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 stick raw or organic butter, softened
1/2 cup sucanat
1/2 cup raw, organic agave
2 large (cage and hormone free) eggs, room temp.
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8 or 9 inch square cake pan.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in a bowl.
3. Beat butter, sucanat, agave, and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
5. Beat in applesauce.
6. Mix in flour mixture until just combined, stir in nuts (if using them).
7. Spread batter evenly into buttered pan and bake until fork or toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. (30-40 minutes) (20 minutes for small single serving size baking dishes)
8. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake, then invert onto a plate. Reinvert cake onto a rack and cool completely.
5 oz organic cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsps (unsalted) butter, softened
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup coconut sugar (or sucanat)
1 Tbsp agave
2 Tbsp ground sprouted wheat flour
1/4 to 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Blend the coconut sugar in a blender until it turns into a fine powder.
2. Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy.
3. Add powdered coconut sugar, agave, flour and cinnamon to the cream cheese mixture, beat until incorporated.
4. Spread frosting over top of cooled cake.
This dessert is exceptionally good!
* Revision made Jan 31st. I mistakingly listed 2 eggs twice and have since then corrected that.