Monday, April 8, 2013

Gluten Free Flour



Having a gluten free lifestyle doesn't mean one can't eat delicious foods. I think I'd die if this was the case. I LOVE good foods.

We still eat food like: Shepherd's pie, pancakes, pasta salads, lasagna, muffins, cookies, spaghetti and chicken noodle soup. And you can too!

There are gluten free breads out there to enjoy as well - but, as most of you know, we choose to eat sourdough breads and make soaked tortillas.

Why sourdough and why the soaked method? Because these two methods break down much (if not most) of the gluten, plus breaks down the phytic acid making a bread that is easy to digest and is therefore more nutritious plus prevents digestive issues from happening (if they haven't yet) such as IBS, Crohn's, Leaky Gut, etc. AND it doesn't mess with blood sugar levels like "normal" bread do, whole wheat bread included.

Remember all those wonderful benefits I found out about through my researching's?

Now, ready-to-go gluten free flours CAN be purchased online or from health food stores but I choose to mix up my own simply because A) I enjoy doing that. B) I have control over what goes into our gluten free flour and C) It saves us money.

Here's the recipe:

6-8 cups sorghum flour
3 cups tapioca starch
2 cups almond flour
2 cups brown rice flour

-Sorghum flour can be made by grinding sorghum seeds in a wheat grinder.
-Almond flour can be made by grinding up almonds in a blender.
-I buy the tapioca starch from health food store.
-I buy the brown rice flour ... though I've been wondering if my wheat grinder or blender could make brown rice flour out of our brown rice. We shall see!

Simply stir those ingredients together and use as your flour in your recipes.

Only thing to remember here is that if you're going to make it for something like tortillas, pizza dough, or bread (anything that requires gluten to be present in order to firmly hold it together) you'll need to add an ingredient such as guar gum or xantham gum to help hold it together.

Tip: If you'd like a whiter, lighter flour (less healthy too but hey, it's still gluten free) substitute the brown rice flour for white rice flour instead and you could even add more starch.

No comments:

Post a Comment