Here's the recipe:
Pumpkin Spice Cake
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp oil (coconut or grapeseed oil)
1 cup sucanat
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs, room temp.
3/4 cup buttermilk
(or 1/2 cup plain yogurt plus enough water to make 3/4 cup)
1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp sea salt
Chocolate chips or nuts, optional.
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°. Grease 9x12 baking dish.
2. Cream the butter, oil and sucanat together until light and fluffy. (Powderizing the sucanat is helpful in this step. Powderize the sucanat by blending it up in the blender or in a coffee grinder.)
3. Add the vanilla and eggs and mix together.
4. Add the buttermilk/yogurt and pumpkin. Mix until just incorporated.
5. In a separate bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt.
6. Pour all of dry mixture into mixing bowl containing creamed mixture and mix together until well mixed.
7. Mix in any chocolate chips or nuts.
8. Pour batter into baking dish.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
5 oz cream cheese, softened
3 Tbsps butter, softened
1/4 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp canned pumpkin
1 to 1 1/2 cups coconut sugar, powderized
2-4 Tbsp milk, if needed
1.Cream together the cream cheese, vanilla, pumpkin and butter.
2.Add the coconut sugar.
3.Add milk, if needed, to create desired consistency.
4 oz cream cheese, softened
5 tbsp butter, softened
1 1/2 tsps vanilla
1 3/4 cup powderized sugar in the raw
2-4 tbsp milk
1. Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
2. Add powdered sugar.
3. Gradually add milk until desired consistency is formed.
This recipe creates a very moist and scrumptious cake!