Thursday, August 11, 2011

Extra: Food Storage

I've felt driven to increase my food storage supply this last month. This desire was created for a handful of reasons: a friend of mine motivated me to do so after hearing about her efforts in increasing her food storage supply, I read the book "The Cleansing of America" by Cleon Skousen (if that isn't a motivator I don't know what would else would be) and the current issues with the economy.

My thoughts on food storage are this:

a) I want a generous supply of all we'd need to survive, thrive and have joy.

At the end of Cleon's book he added a couple of visions from reputable people concerning the tumultuous events of the last days. In one of these visions, (which came in the form of a dream) floating, among a scene of chaos, was a banner which said, "BANKRUPTCY, FAMINE, FLOODS, FIRE, CYCLONES, BLOOD, PLAGUE."

Those events, in that order, sounded right on the money. I think of the famine portion of that banner and want no part in it. However, I feel reassured thinking about having a generous food storage supply.

I think it's good to make sure we have all we need to survive but I also love the idea of having things that will bring us joy. I think of the book, Anne Frank's Diary. As Anne's family hid from the Nazi's, they lived off meager portions of food. But every once in a while, on special occasions, her parents would gift her with a sweet treat or some books. The receiving of such surprises was well welcomed and brought joy and excitement to their souls, even under such intense and stressful circumstances.

I want to be able to do the same. Keeping this in mind, here are some things I have or want to have in our food storage:

Chocolate Milk Mix
Paper, pencils and crayons
Books
Candy (heaven forbid, I know, but alas candy it is)

b) I want food that will not only keep us alive but is exceptionally nourishing.

Sprouting for optimal nutrition:

I was talking to my sister the other day. We were discussing the topic of food storage. She explained to me that she has wheat in her food storage but needs to learn how to make bread. I went on a little motivational rant explaining that although it's great to be able to eat bread wheat can be used in other ways than just making bread.

I informed her that she can simply soak her wheat in some water overnight. Strain the water and place the wheat in a colander and allow the wheat to sprout the following day. That night it will be ready to eat and it can be eaten by pouring some milk (maybe made from powdered milk) over the top and add a dab of (food storage) honey on top or I suggested she could even store creamer and pour that over the top and eat it just like that. It's filling and incredibly sustaining.

I used to take care of elderly people in a retirement home. One of the residents, a man in his eighties, loved to talk. I always made sure to check in on him last because I loved to listen. He would tell about how he grew up near a mine in Park City Utah. He would verbally spill his fond memories of his childhood, his family, his friends and of food!

One of the foods he has fond memories of, even to this day, was none other than soaked wheat with "fresh cream". His mother fed him well and he enjoyed every bite. I'm guessing they were unaware of what soaking the wheat did for their ability to digest it and fully utilize its nutrition but that's just how they did things!

Keeping foods that can be sprouted is such a great idea for obtaining optimum nutrition. Sprouting seeds, wheat, lentils, quinoa, buckwheat, etc. are all absolutely great food storage items because they are foods that we can bring to life which, in the end, will help us to not only survive but thrive.

Drying and fermenting:

Canning is great - it's nice to have fruit that still has its texture almost completely in tact but I love the thought of keeping the nutritional content of food in tact by drying foods or even increasing its nutritional content by the process of food fermentation.

I want to be able to be healthy if we end up having to rely on our food storage. Dried and fermented foods will make sure of that. A great book to read concerning this is Preserving Food Without Canning or Freezing. I've been wanting this book for a few years but only now feel that the time is right for me to learn what it teaches. I've ordered it and it will be here any day!

I've been doing a ton of food drying. My list includes: pineapple, cherries, mango, kiwi, strawberries, raspberries, potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, limes, lemons, apples, tomatoes, peaches, blueberries, yogurt, and more! I love having all these dried foods.

My all time favorite site for instructions on how to go about drying foods is dehydrate2store.

c) I want to be able to make our meals without relying on any electricity.

I keep in mind that if some calamity were to happen we would probably be without electricity. If this is the case what would we need?

Reliable (expensive) hand wheat grinder
A cooker (bbq grill with a few propane tanks, a solar oven or a stovetec - great stovetec video found here.)

d) I want to know that I am able to keep my family protected.

When I think of a famine I think of desperate people. Desperate people do drastic things. Although I want to help those around me, I also want to make sure I can protect my family. Protect one another from harm. Protect our things. Protect our life sustaining food.

Although the subject is so foreign to me - I feel that guns are a necessity. I like the thought of having walkie talkies as well to be able to communicate with one another as we guard our home if ever under "attack".

* * *

We don't have a complete food storage yet but we chip away at it month by month.

Doom and gloom talk is not my thing nor is living in fear. But being prepared is so gratifying and relieving! "If ye are prepared ye shall not fear." So true, so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment