Monday, May 9, 2011

Recipe: Apple Muffins (Sourdough)

Why did I never know about or utilize the concept of freezing muffins before? I'll never know.

Our freezer is filling up with frozen muffins and rolls. I've loved being able to grab some of them as a filling and nutritional snack for our outings or sending a couple of them (along with some fruit or veggies of some kind) with my husband as he heads out for a job.

Here's one recipe I modified from that of any old regular apple muffin version to a sourdough-kicken, healthiest kind of sugar-licken, whole wheat-picken kind of treat.

Here's the recipe:

Sourdough Apple Muffins
(makes 24 muffins)

Step one ingredients:
1/2 cup starter
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, softened
1/2 cup sucanat
(or 1/4 cup sucanat & 1/4 cup honey)
1/4 cup buttermilk or yogurt or kefir

Step two ingredients:
2 cups whole wheat flour

Step three ingredients:
3/4 cup apple sauce
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs (cage & hormone free)

Step one: Combine all of "step one" ingredients.
Step two: Add the flour.
Step two and a half: Allow the dough to soak 8-24 hours. (Overnight is just fine.)
Step three: Add the "step three" ingredients until thoroughly combined.

(I make my own apple sauce by coring and cutting up a couple of sweet apples, placing the apples in a covered pot with a bit of water, simmering the apples for 12-15 minutes, then mashing it up with a hand held blender.)

Preheat oven to 375°. Place dough into muffin liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes.

See why I love sourdough breads here.

2 comments:

  1. These sound delicious. I can't get a sourdough starter to work, though. I've been trying for MONTHS. I kinda want to cry about it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? This is basically what I do:

    1 cup rye flour mixed with 1/2 cup water. Let sit 24 hours.

    Add 1/2 cup flour and enough water to create waffle consistency. Sit for 24 hours.

    Then begin feeding it every 12 hours. Adding enough flour that is equal to half of the starter you have. And adding enough water to create a waffle dough consistency.

    I'll give you some of my starter, if you want some and feel the itch to conquer sourdough breads.

    Maybe I'll have to do a video demo on this one...

    ReplyDelete