I remember her endlessly grating those potatoes. I remember the sweet applesauce. And I remember the Grüne Kleuchen mostly because I really, really didn't like them. She added the herb caraway seeds - oh, how I detested the flavor of caraway seeds!
After my mom's recent trip to Germany, having discovered the handy-dandy kitchen food processor which creates almost instant shredded potatoes - she was more than anxious to come home, purchase a food processor and eat the Grüne Kleuchen every day.
And she has done just that.
Well, she's done more than that because as of tonight's experimenting with this quick-to-make and filling meal - we are now addicted too.
Here's the simple recipe:
6-8 small potatoes, peeled and shredded
3 Tbsp Yogurt
2 eggs (cage and hormone free)
3-4 Tbsp Corn Starch or wheat flour or Arrowroot Powder
Sea salt and Pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp salt)
Whole or ground caraway seeds (optional)
and ... Flax oil for frying.
1. Stir together.
2. Heat up large flat pan on medium heat.
3. Once ingredients are all mixed; pour (or squirt) some flax oil onto the 3-4 different areas in your pan you'll be laying the potato mixture.
4. Scoop out about 3/4 to 1 cup of the potato mixture by hand. Flatten mixture between hands.
5. Lay flattened potato mixture onto pan. Add some of the leftover liquid onto the "patties".
6. Allow to cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until browned.
Top with applesauce and enjoy!