Friday, January 7, 2011

Recipe: Chicken Quessadillas

This is one of the recipes I made using one of the prepared freezer bags of cream of chicken soup with the extra chicken pieces.

This recipe originally calls for jalapeño peppers - which my husband and I really like but I knew my kids wouldn't. So I kept it simple for them and considering that they all asked for seconds - simple was just right.

Here's the recipe:

Chicken Quessadillas

homemade Cream of Chicken soup (with extra meat pieces)
jalapeño peppers (optional)
1 (+) cups shredded cheese
sour cream
salsa

If you're using you're cream of chicken soup that doesn't already contain extra meat simply cook up some chicken either in a pan or in the crock pot. Chop up the cooked chicken and add it to the soup.

1. Heat oven to 350°.
2. Warm up the cream of chicken soup in a pot.
3. Add the chopped jalapeno peppers into the soup here if your'e using it.

4. After it's warmed up, spoon some of the mixture onto half of a tortilla, spreading it around on that one side.
5. Fold the tortilla in half and lay the tortilla down in a glass baking dish.
6. Layer the quessadillas slightly to keep the soup from leaking out.

* For runnier cream of chicken soups, moisten the inside edges of the tortillas with water, add a fairly thing layer of the soup, fold over then press the edges to seal.

Make however many tortillas the cream of chicken soup will spread on to. (For my 1 & 3/4 cup cream of chicken soup I was able to spread this onto about 9 tortillas.)

7. Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of the quessadillas.

8. Bake for about 8 minutes - just until the cheese has melted.

We liked dipping the quessadillas in either sour cream or salsa (or both). This meal works great with a salad.

I love that there was no guilt involved in using a cream soup! And I loved watching my family gobble this meal up.

Photo credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment