Thursday, August 5, 2010

Recipe: Sprouted Wheat Tortillas

I used to make these without adding enough flour (and to add to the dryness) I would cook them too long - making sure they had those nice big brown spots like the store bought tortillas had.

But once I added the right amount of water and cooked them for less time - they were perfect! These tortillas taught me that I can't (and shouldn't) expect my food to look like store bought food. White. Perfectly round.

Reminds me of the people living on Camazotz in Madeleine L'Engle's book A Wrinkle In Time - all doing the same thing. All beating to the same rhythm.

Round white tortillas.
All with tiny differences.
But all the same.
Beating to the same rhythm.
Lacking the ability to increase our frequency.

Then suddenly here come the sprouted whole wheat tortillas. Brimming full of originality and promise!

Well...it's kinda like that.

Here's the recipe:

Sprouted Wheat Tortillas

4 cups freshly ground sprouted wheat
(or you can use regular wheat instead)
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup softened raw butter
1 1/4 cup warm water (and more)

Mix butter and baking powder into dough either by hand or with a pastry blender. Dissolve salt in water. Gradually add this water to the flour mixture. Knead dough well. You want a fairly wet dough - nothing too dry - so add water until a fairly moist dough has been formed.

1. Divide dough into smaller balls (10-20 depending on the size of your tortillas)

2. Roll each ball out nice and thin - almost as thin as possible.

3. Place tortilla on moderately hot pan for about 30 seconds each side.

4. Keep the cooked tortillas covered - to keep them warm and to keep them nice and soft.

Tortillas should be refrigerated - they'll keep for two weeks or more.

I warm my refrigerated tortillas by placing them in a saucepan, place a lid on it and set the temperature to a low setting. I flip the tortillas after a few minutes. They warm (and soften up) up nicely with this method.

Not to mention that they smile at me because I didn't stick them in the microwave.

**Important note: The photo is not a batch of my own home-made tortillas. But they look similar too that.

Mine may have a little more originality and a little less fluff.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy. Can you clarify what you mean by "freshly ground sprouted wheat"? Do you dry the sprouts and then grind them into flour? If not, how do you grind the sprouts? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete