Friday, September 7, 2012

Immune Boosting Tea Concentrate


There's a new tea we've been making to help boost our immune systems - there seemed to be a lot of sickness going 'round and I'm happy to say that it never hit us. (Thank heavens!)

I have to admit here - I think I'm getting old. I've loved to enjoy a cup of tea at the end of each day. The kids are in bed (or getting there anyway). I'm in the kitchen, lights turned off, one simple candle casting gentle shadows about the kitchen as I sit and sip at my tea. It's wonderful!

Anyway..I never knew how amazing elder berries were until Dr. Natasha McBride mentioned them in her book Gut and Psychology Syndrome and then did some researching on my own - it's one of the best herbs to turn to for boosting the immune system and warding off the cold or many strains of the flu.

Here's our immune boosting concoction:

3 T. elderberries
3 T. rosehips (super rich in vitamin C)
1 T. licorice root (sweet taste and medicinal properties)
1 T. astragalus (for extra immune boosting power)
1 T. ginger (kills cold viruses and many other things)
1 cinnamon stick (anti-viral & anti-bacterial)
1/2 T. cloves (anti-viral & anti-bacterial)

Bring water (3-4 cups) to a boil.

Drop in the herbs.

Turn down heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.

After the 20 minutes of simmering time is up you will be left with a strong immune boosting tea concentrate.

Allow the mixture to cool.

Strain and store in a glass jar, in the fridge for up to two weeks (or possibly more).

Use 1-2 T. of this concentrate, pouring it into a cup, fill the rest of the cup up with water and drink one time a day for immune strengthening maintenance or drink 2-3 times if you feel a cold (or something) coming on.

Photo credit.

No comments:

Post a Comment