Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Crock Pot Meal: Herb and Vegetable Chicken

With the weather being cold outside I feel the need to make heartier meals - even feeding my family meat a little more often than usual. I trust these instincts and go with them.

Although I enjoy cooking I wanted to enjoy the ease of crock pot cooking. I really enjoyed it! It was as though someone else made an evening meal for us every night last week.

I made an herb-covered chicken that I used for an exceptional homemade cream of chicken soup recipe which I'll post tomorrow.

Here's the recipe:

Herb and Vegetable Chicken

1 small whole chicken
olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp chopped parsley, dried or fresh
2 tsps sage
2 tsps rosemary
2 tsps thyme

2 carrots
3 bay leaves
2 celery sticks
1 onion
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Skin the bird and remove the neck and gizzards from the body cavity.

Mix all the spices including the Parmesan cheese in a small bowl, set aside. Rub the olive oil all over the bird, inside and out.

Rub/sprinkle the herbal mixture all over the bird. Place the bird in your crock pot.

Chop all the veggies into small pieces and place the veggies into any free areas in your crock pot. Add as much water to the crock pot as possible.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours. (overnight)

I have a regular sized crock pot and my chicken fit in just so - but I did manage to squeeze in the veggies. (I think I may need to get a larger crock pot.) The smell of this cooking bird is exceptional.

** If you'd like to eat this chicken without using it for the cream of chicken soup. Simply omit the veggies (aside from the garlic) and water and you'll have a heavenly herbal chicken that has incredibly moist and delicious meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment