Monday, September 13, 2010

Discovery: Wheat Grass Juice

"I am convinced that what we need most today is a fundamental change in eating and lifestyle to give us the stronger, healthier bodies that will overcome many other problems facing the world today." Ann Wigmore, author of The Wheatgrass Book

Growing up I ate an uncountable amount of hostess cupcakes, Twix candy bars, and microwaved meals as after school snacks. I ate donuts, mustard pretzels, or a bag of chips and a soft drink from the infamous vending machine as my source of nutrition for lunch during school time.

And yet, during my tween and younger teen ages some of the things I loved doing best was pretending that our vacant chicken house was a cottage, my cottage, and I would wander around the backyard gathering grasses, leaves, and various plants for the "soup" I was making within the walls of that beloved cottage of mine. Really, eating such a soup might have done me quite a bit of good.

But I didn't just pretend to eat healthy. I really did know where the best tasting grasses were in the neighborhood. As I'd wander around our block, I could be found stooping over a generous area of tall grass, picking some blades and placing it in my mouth. Oh how I loved the sweet taste of such lively grass!

I now get to see my own children do the same thing - only, they pick the grass within our own "cottage" instead of picking it from a lawn.

The health benefits of wheat grass are extraordinary. It indeed can be considered a superfood and is such a beneficial food to be able to take into our bodies on a daily basis. I feel so blessed to be able to provide such nutrition to my family and myself for pennies a day.

In Ann Wigmore's book, The Wheatgrass Book, she gives a mountain of information, laid out in simple and understandable terms. She explains that young blades of wheatgrass are a storehouse of essential vitamins, minerals, and enzymes.

The amount of vitamin A and C compares favorably with the vitamin content of many common fruits and garden vegetables. Wheatgrass also contains optimum amounts of the B-complex vitamins, Vitamin E, and minerals such as calcium, iron, sodium, and potassium. And fresh wheatgrass juice supplies these nutrients in a form in which they may be readily used by the body.

Wheatgrass juice contains liquid oxygen. Oxygen is vital to our body and helps create alkaline conditions within it. Oxygen stimulates digestion, allows clearer thinking, it promotes better circulation of the blood, and ultimately nourishes every cell in the body.

It's so wonderful!

Ann Wigmore states that wheatgrass juice is perhaps the most powerful and safest healing aid there is.

Now, in order to have wheatgrass juice every day, for a family of six, we needed to have a wheatgrass juice system set up. The task seemed daunting at first but, really, it's not that bad, not that expensive and is so worth any time or financial investment put into it.

Here are two instructional videos on how to grow wheat grass in your home. A full tray of grass will grow in only seven days!:


We buy our trays and soil from Home Depot's garden center, we purchased the Hurricane juicer from Wheat Grass Kits (they're in Springville, Utah if you would rather stop by and pick one up to save on shipping and they warranty their juicer for 5 years). We bought our shelf from IKEA - it just had to be wooden!

And I'm attempting to recycle my leftover dirt into compost so that we can re-use it for more wheatgrass or use it in our garden. (Ann Wigmore explains how to do this in her book.)

There is an alternative way to growing wheatgrass. It's called the Hydroponic method. It's a method of growing wheatgrass without using soil. You can find out more about it here.

Also, a gal at Good Earth told me that using hard winter wheat produces some of the best kind of wheat grass - so we'll be trying that.

Wheatgrass juice can be mixed into smoothies or fresh vegetable juices. Strong health benefits = strong flavor but it is sweet and although I don't mind taking it "straight" - it can be mixed into smoothies or fresh vegetable juices for those who don't like its strong flavor.

Here's some more great info about wheatgrass.

No comments:

Post a Comment