Friday, August 6, 2010

Personal Story: Herbs

I believe herbs are meant for the use of man.

I didn't always believe this - or really recognize it as personal truth. Until I struggled with severe depression. I remember being so lost in the gloom and darkness I immersed myself in the book Jane Eyre for two straight days. (I started and finished that book in those two days - if that says anything!) I even kept reading straight through family home evening. I didn't make any real meals for my family.

I simply didn't care.
I couldn't grasp reality.
Claudia was gone.

I saw my gynecologist for a regular exam and told him about my recent ordeal with depression. He gave me a prescription for depression. He knew I was hesitant about taking it but said he'd write one out for me anyway and I could decide if I wanted to get the prescription filled or not.

I went home and prayed.

After my prayer I opened my scriptures. The first page I opened to and the first scripture I just "happened" to read was this:

"Yea, all things which come of the earth, in the season thereof, are made for the benefit and the use of man, both to please the eye and to gladden the heart;

Yea, for food and for raiment, for taste and for smell, to strengthen the body and to enliven the soul."

I knew I had just received personal revelation. I knew there was an herb (or herbs) that would help bring peace and balance to my withering mind, soul, and body.

I ended up using St. John's Wort (the perika kind) and felt it help me.

I had bouts with depression on and off after that time.

But I can say that I haven't dealt with depression for many years now.

Why?

Because: Food is medicine.

What I believe is this:

We have a Father in heaven who loves us. He made this earth for children whom he loved. It wouldn't make any sense at all if He created a world without foods and herbs and meats His children need to thrive. Foods, herbs and meats that would indeed keep us healthy, happy, "enlivened" and "glad".

He is so kind!

We have steered so far from what he has to offer us.

We have so much to learn.

I am still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment