Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Recipe: Graham Crackers

I am so excited about these crackers!

Not only do they make our house smell like the most wonderful place to be but:

they're fun to make
the kids love them
they're DE-licious
and (of course) healthy!

They put store bought graham crackers to shame. Seriously.

Here's the recipe-

Graham Crackers

2 cups sprouted wheat flour
1 cup sprouted barley flour
1 cup oatmeal flour
1/2 cup sucanat
2 tsp's baking powder
2 tsp's cinnamon
3/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup softened butter
1/3 - 1/2 cup raw milk
(you can add a little vanilla if you'd like - I didn't and still liked them)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix dry ingredients. Cut in the butter. Add in enough milk to create a dough that isn't too dry but neither too wet - just to where it forms a ball and won't stick to your hand that much.

(Some recipes have you chill the dough for an hour - but I didn't. It is a little tricky to work with but it's manageable.)

Roll the dough out to the width you want your graham crackers to be. Cut with a pizza cutter into squares. Prick dots if you want to. Add a little sweetness to the top of your graham cracker by either:

A) sprinkling it with a little sugar-cinnamon mix
B) drizzling honey over the top of these and sprinkling on some cinnamon
C) after baking, use a brush to add a thin layer of agave and sprinkle with some cinnamon

Transfer the graham crackers to a baking sheet. Bake for 13 to 20 minutes depending on the thickness of your crackers and depending on how crunchy or slightly chewy you want them to be. (I take one out of the oven before the timer is up and place it in the freezer for a minute. This allows me to see how crunchy it will be at that point and therefore lets me decide how much longer I want to keep it in the oven.)

Place finished graham crackers on a cooling rack.

They keep well in an airtight container.

Boy, we love these!

**The wheat doesn't have to be sprouted. But sprouting them does increase its nutrients and breaks down the phytic acid enough so that our body is able to absorb its goodness more easily.

Follow these directions for sprouting wheat (or barley).

3 comments:

  1. Can you share where you get your sprouted flours? We are really trying to get to a place where we're eating better, but truthfully I'm so overwhelmed just trying to FIND ingredients like this, much less cook them! (I've ordered Sally Fallon's book...just waiting for it to come in. Can't wait!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April! Happy to have you join this blog.

    I don't buy my sprouted flour - I make it. I have instructions on how to do this in the "bread and grains" section under the "recipes" list on the left side of this blog.

    It may feel overwhelming at first but once you get the rhythm down - it isn't so bad.

    I should mention here that soaking wheat is comparable to sprouting - my next post will be about just that. So there are two alternatives to increasing our ability to absorbing the nutrients in wheat: sprouting and soaking.

    I'll get that post up there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A post on soaking would be great! Thanks so much! I've got your protein bars in the refrigerator right now...can't wait to try them! :)

    ReplyDelete